Connecticut Hall — 1753
Completed in 1753, Connecticut Hall is the oldest building at Yale and one of four National Historic Landmarks on campus. Only the second structure ever built for the college, Connecticut Hall was commissioned as a dormitory by Yale College President Thomas Clap in 1750 to relieve overcrowding. Remodeled and expanded in 1797, Connecticut Hall, then called “South Middle College,” formed part of the Old Brick Row, the original building complex that lined what is now the Old Campus. While the rest of the Brick Row was demolished at the turn of the twentieth century, Connecticut Hall remained intact, serving many different purposes over the years. In 1925, the University constructed neighboring McClellan Hall in the same Georgian style to replicate the feel of the Old Brick Row. Having gone through several renovations, updates and repairs, Connecticut Hall now holds faculty offices, meeting rooms and a computer lab.
Did You Know?
Famous residents of Connecticut Hall include James Hillhouse (1773), Noah Webster (1778), Eli Whitney (1792), and Nathan Hale (1773), whose statue stands just outside the building.